Friday, June 10, 2011

Transported, courtesy Annette Hanshaw

Annette Hanshaw was a popular Jazz Age-era singer. I imagine she is little-remembered today (I came across some of her songs completely by chance), which seems too bad. I love listening to vintage music that transports me to its recording time. Annette does that. When I listen to her sing, I imagine being a flapper who falls in love, experiences a broken heart, and then falls in love again. It may sound weird, but I cannot help but feel she takes me away for awhile.





I believe much popular music today tends to be a little over-the-top, so it's refreshing to listen to something more simple and romantic. However, who knows? Some people in the 1920s may have thought Annette was a little much.

~F.

2 comments:

BaronessVonVintage said...

Oh YES, I LOVE annette! AND Al Bowlly.

emma wallace said...

Oh, she's fabulous! I'd never heard her before! So darling too.