Friday, July 1, 2011

Transported, courtesy Natalie, Jimmy, and Rebel Without a Cause

I feel I have been blogging about Natalie Wood a lot lately, but in my opinion, there can never be enough love for her. So, here I go again! This is a fantastic interview from the 1970s where Natalie discusses James Dean and Rebel Without a Cause. It's funny I love this because few films have disappointed me as much as Rebel. The first time I watched it years ago, I prepared myself for something "deep" and "brilliant," but instead thought the film melodramatic and over-acted, especially on Jimmy's part. However, after a few more viewings, I am less critical (it is difficult to resent Sal Mineo's character), and even respect Jimmy's acting more. Thank you, Giant.


Anyway, as Natalie says in the interview, she and Jimmy developed a close friendship, and she seemed to admire him quite a bit. It's interesting to listen to her speak about Jimmy's cultural significance because she was so, well, "Hollywood," compared to him, and definitely exhibited a different style.

1 comment:

Shybiker said...

Yes, we can't get enough of Natalie. I caught the bug early on and saw this interview when it was broadcast: I remember her at this age.

As enticing as I found Natalie, I am equally turned off by Peter Lawford; he seems so oily to me.